Students are strongly encouraged to add an international dimension to their undergraduate education through studying abroad.
By participating in an approved study abroad program, students can earn credits toward their major as well as CAS credits. Please consult with French program faculty for guidance in choosing a suitable program and for information on study abroad scholarships and financial aid.
Planning and Application
Students are encouraged to study abroad during their junior year, though another moment may be more suitable for certain students. We encourage students to investigate different options including summer, semester, and full-year study periods, in consultation with the following application timelines:
PERIOD OF STUDY
BEGIN PLANNING BY
November of previous year
December of previous year
July of previous year
Beginning of spring semester
before summer abroad
Transferring study abroad credits to the French major
We strongly encourage students to enroll in rigorous and challenging programs whose courses will count toward the French major. Not all programs offer courses that are suitable for the University of Pittsburgh French major. Please see the French major advisor for information about appropriate programs.
Pitt in France: Lille
The Department of French and Italian and the Global Experiences Office are pleased to announce our new summer study abroad program for summer term 2024 in Lille, France. Details are available at https://abroad.pitt.edu/FrenchLille The program will be directed by Brett Wells. The program targets students who have completed French 0104 or have comparable French language skills before departure.
We are also offering a program in Dakar, Senegal in conjunction with the Center for African Studies in summer 2024. Please check with GEO for more information about this program: https://www.globalexperiences.pitt.edu
On the basis of our students’ experience, we can suggest the following from the numerous study abroad programs available:
- Université Laval: Quebec City, Canada. This program offers two total immersion five-week summer sessions concentrating mainly on the development of language skills. One and two semester programs during the Fall and Spring terms are also available. www.elul.ulaval.ca
- École Internationale de Français: Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières: This program offers five- and six-week summer programs in a full immersion setting. https://oraprdnt.uqtr.uquebec.ca/pls/public/gscw030?owa_no_site=1973
- Institut d’Etudes Politiques (Sciences Po): Paris, France. This is a full-year exchange program. Students pay University of Pittsburgh tuition to attend one of Europe’s most prestigious universities. Fields of study include: political science, economics, history, European society and the liberal arts. For more information, please contact Stephen Lund of ESC: firstname.lastname@example.org
- AIFS in Paris. AIFS offers six-week intensive language summer sessions in the French capital. Classes are taken at the famous Sorbonne with native French-speaking instructors.
- CEA in Aix-en-Provence. This program offers courses in French language, literature, culture in the broadest sense of the term. Summer, semester and year-long programs are available.